Thursday 14 January 2010

Table Runner, by Sue Timpany

At the beginning of last year, after a break from weaving of about eleven years – due to travel overseas and other commitments, I finally had all my loom bits and pieces in one place and the loom reassembled.

It was with a bit of trepidation that I sat down at the loom for the first time – a warp on and ready to weave. I had built up such an expectation (with myself) about the enjoyment and satisfaction that I gained from weaving – what if it actually wasn’t like that. Maybe I was about to be very disappointed. But everything was all right

It was just as I remembered it and it felt like coming home after a long absence.

After a year I am only about to embark on my 4th warp. Finding the time to weave isn’t always easy around a full time job and study as well, but as my loom is one of my most treasured possessions; just having it assembled in my living room is satisfaction enough some days.

My first project was a table runner. Its execution wasn’t without difficulties but the fact that the end result was a usable piece that has pride of place on my dinning table is extremely pleasing. I look forward to many more enjoyable years at my loom.

by Sue Timpany

2 comments:

Rose said...

What a great re-start for your weaving career Sue! And I'm so glad to hear from someone else who thinks having a loom in the living area is great. I resisted for a long time but now I have squeezed one in and I'm loving it.

Kathy said...

What weaving pattern was used for this? Is it possible to do on a 4-shaft loom?